Fregola with chilli pipis and cherry tomatoes
Fregola is a type of pasta from Sardinia and goes wonderfully in this recipe.
10 minutes prep.
15 minutes cooking
- 250g fregola (or Israeli couscous)
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 long red chillies, deseeded and finely chopped, plus extra slices to serve
- 250g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1kg pipis (or mussels)
- 150ml white wine
- 50g unsalted butter
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 small bunch flat-leaf parsley, leaves picked
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil over medium-high heat. Add the fregola and cook until tender.
- Drain, reserving 1/3 cup (80ml) cooking water
- Place a large saucepan with a lid over high heat. Add the olive oil, then the garlic and chillies, and cook for 30 seconds until fragrant. Add the cherry tomatoes and cook for a further 2 minutes before adding the pipis and wine.
- Cover the pan with a lid and shake while cooking for 3-4 minutes until the pipis start to open.
- Remove the lid, then add butter and fregola. Stir through the lemon juice and half the parsley leaves.
- Serve topped with rest of the parsley and extra chilli.